2018-2019 Annual Budget Vote and Trustee Election
Tuesday, April 10, 2016 10:00am - 9:00pm
I’m happy to pass along the good news that we recently were able to take over more room on the second floor of our Station Branch building! As we continue to offer our many andvaried programs and services, I’d like you to know how much I appreciate the support that you, our patrons, continue to give us. Please note the information below on our upcoming budget vote and trustee election. I hope you will take the time to come out and vote that day.
Budget Vote Information: This year, our annual Budget Vote will take place on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 from 10:00 am – 9:00 pm at our Main St. location. Budget information will be available shortly. There is also an election to fill a five-year term on the Board of Trustees. To become a candidate for this office, you must meet the district eligibility requirements listed in Article II, Section 2 of the Huntington Public Library By-Laws. Eligible candidates must submit a petition with at least 25 signatures to the school district clerk by Monday, March 12, 2018, 3:00 pm. Petitions are available at the district clerk’s office at 50 Tower Street, Huntington Station. (631-673-2126).
Please join us for our Budget Presentation & Meet the Candidates Night on Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 5:30 pm in the main Meeting Room. For more information, or if you have any questions or concerns about the library, please feel free to contact me at any time by phone: 631-427-5165 x 206 or by email: . Wishing you all a warm and wonderful spring!
– Joanne Adam, Library Director
BUDGET PRESENTATION & MEET THE CANDIDATE(S)
There will be a Budget Presentation for Fiscal Year 2018-2019 and an opportunity to meet the Trustee Candidate(s) on:
Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 5:30pm at the Main Library at 338 Main Street, Huntington, NY 11743
VOTER REGISTRATION INFO
Residents of Huntington Union Free School District who wish to register to vote may do so by presenting themselves personally at the Office of the District Clerk, 50 Tower Street, Huntington Station, between the hours of 9:00 am - 3:00 pm, Monday - Friday, except for the five (5) days preceding the vote. You may vote if you meet the following qualifications. If in doubt, contact the Office of the District Clerk at 631-673-2126.
- You are a U.S. citizen.
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- You have been a resident of HUFSD #3 for at least thirty (30) days prior to the vote.
- You are registered with either the School District or for the General Election.
ABSENTEE BALLOTS INFO
- Submit an application for absentee ballot to the Office of the District Clerk. Applications are available at the Library and at the Office of the District Clerk.
- Submit the application for absentee ballot at least seven (7) days before the vote on April 10, if the absentee ballot is to be mailed to the voter.
- If the voter wishes to pick up an absentee ballot personally, the voter must present the application for absentee ballot to the Clerk at least one (1) day before the vote.
- The absentee ballot must be filed with the District Clerk by 5:00 pm on the day of the vote, Tuesday, April 10, 2018. For more information, please call the District clerk at 631-673-2126.
Each year, readers from all over Long Island gather together to participate in Long Island Reads, an Island-wide reading project designed to bring together readers from across Nassau and Suffolk Counties to discuss a book with a Long Island connection and participate in library-sponsored activities and events associated with the title.
This year’s pick is Spaceman: An Astronaut’s Unlikely Journey to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe by Franklin Square native (and Big Bang Theory guest star!) Mike Massimino. The memoir is the spellbinding true story of a Long Island boy who became one of our best-known living space travelers. Despite daunting challenges and numerous setbacks, Mike never gave up his dream of becoming an astronaut. His book brings the reader into a rare, wonderful world where nerdy science meets thrilling adventure, and pulls back a curtain on just what it really means to have “the right stuff.”
How Can You Participate In Long Island Reads 2018?
- Check out or download a copy of Spaceman from the Huntington Public Library collection; CD books and Large Print versions are available. Please ask one of our librarians to assist you in locating or downloading a copy.
- Participate in a local book discussion of Spaceman at the Huntington Public Library on Monday, April 9 at 7:00 pm in our Main Meeting Room. The discussion is open to all but registration is required (HMA397)
- Attend the free, ticketed, author event at the Hillwood Recital Hall on the C.W. Post Campus on Sunday, April 23 at 2:00 PM where Eric Larson will read from his work, talk about the process of writing Dead Wake and answer questions. Information about free tickets for the event may be found after March 15 at longislandreads.org. Tickets are required for entry to the event and seating will be first come, first seated.
- Attend the free, ticketed author event at the Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts on Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 2:00 pm, where Mike Massimino will read from his work, talk about the process of writing Spaceman and answer questions. Information about free tickets for the event may be found on March 1, 2018 at https://longislandreads.wordpress.com. Tickets are required for entry to the event and seating will be first come, first seated.