Thank you to everyone who purchased books at our Winter Book Sale in February. It is gratifying to see so many people who appreciate good books! Remember, books are always on sale in the Daily Book Room and in the two bookcases outside Youth and Parent Services.
When donating books, please make sure they are in clean, undamaged condition. We do not accept LP records, magazines, encyclopedias, or old textbooks. Check to see if any cherished family photos are tucked inside. We are presently squeezed for storage space, so please limit the number of boxes/bags of donations to three or fewer.
Our next monthly Board meeting is March 6, 2018 at 9:00 am in the Main Library Conference Room and is open to all interested in attending. Please join us - we would love to hear your ideas! In March, all mysteries/thrillers will be on sale - half-price - and on the Ides of March you can get a second hardcover free for each one you purchase! Look for the red M on the book’s spine and remember - there are mysteries/thrillers among all paperbacks and large print books. The biographies will be on sale, half price, in April with a blue B on the spine of each one. Happy hunting!
If you enjoy books and appreciate your public library, we invite you to join the Friends of the Huntington Public Library, a community-based organization that is independent of the library and its staff. Help us make the library the "place to be" for adults, teens, and children in our community. Use the button below for an online form, ask for an application at the Customer Services Desk or email .
According to the By-Laws of the Friends of the Huntington Public Library, their goals are:
- To support the Huntington Public Library in its Mission.
- To promote and support volunteerism for the Huntington Public Library.
- To encourage membership in the organization and contributions from members and others to foster advocacy and support for the Huntington Public Library.
- To support the freedom to read as expressed in the American Library Association Bill of Rights (included in the Huntington Public Library Bill of Rights).
The Friends of the Huntington Public Library has been granted 501(c)3 status by the IRS. The Friends is classified as a public charity. This means the Friends organization is now exempt from paying federal income tax. It also means our donors can deduct contributions to the Friends on their federal income tax returns. We would like to thank all our members for their commitment to the Friends as we look for more ways to support our local public library. We welcome suggestions from patrons of the Huntington Public Library.
Besides a fantastic selection of books, we will be selling movie dvds and blu-ray dvds, music cds, and books on cd,. We will also have a raffle of items donated by local businesses, with the drawing scheduled for Sunday afternoon. If you would like to donate items for the sale, please place your donations in our Daily book Sale room on the first floor of the Main Library. Donations need to be CLEAN and UNDAMAGED. We do not accept magazines, lp records or old textbooks.
The Friends maintains a Daily Book Sale Room on the first floor of the Main Street branch of the Library. During the summer we will be selling ALL paperback fiction for 25¢. Come find a great beach read!
- Monthly Board meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at 9:00 am in the Main Conference Room. (There is no meeting in July. The next meeting will be August 1.) Please consider attending a meeting to help us make the Huntington Public Library even better. We need your active participation.
- Occasionally, books are donated to the Friends with family photos still tucked into their pages. Since we do not know who gave us the books, we cannot directly return these photos. Any photos we find will get pinned up on the corkboard in the Daily Sales room.
Since joining the efforts of Operation Paperback in September 2014, we have shipped over 400 paperbacks to U.S. military personnel on active military bases and V.A. hospitals as well as military families stationed around the world. One of the items most often requested is puzzle books (crossword, sudoku, word search, etc.). Please consider donating un-used puzzle books to us so we can send them in all our packages.